Home News Shocking image of a dog vomiting after eating chocolate

Shocking image of a dog vomiting after eating chocolate

894
0
SHARE

Shocking image of a dog vomiting after eating chocolate is shared by veterinary clinic to warn pet owners against letting their pooches eat Easter eggs!!!

A veterinary clinic has shared a shocking photo of a boxer dog vomiting after eating chocolate in a stark warning to all pet owners this Easter.

Drumahoe Vets In Londonderry shared the graphic image of the pooch being sick on the vet’s floor to serve as a warning for owners to keep their pets away from chocolate eggs this Easter.

Thousands of animals are treated each year for reactions to theobromine – a naturally occurring stimulant found in the cocoa bean, which affects the central nervous system and heart and can kill a dog.

And recent research revealed that the number of pets that are poisoned by chocolate doubles over the Easter break.
The image was accompanied by the caption: ‘Not for the faint hearted but this is reality.

‘Please think twice when you feed your dog chocolate! It is very poisonous. As Easter approaches make sure to keep all chocolate eggs away from your pets.’


The image has received tens of thousands of comments and shares from shocked dog owners.

The danger depends on the animal’s size and the type of chocolate. Darker and more expensive chocolate contains more theobromine.

While humans have the metabolism to cope with the stimulant, it can cause vomiting, diarrhoea and dehydration in pets.

Owners have been warned to be vigilant over the holidays when chocolate eggs and sweet treats are more likely to be offered to household pets.

MUST READ:  Mom Locked 7-Year-Old Son in Closet and Tortured Him Over 2 Years

Research by LV= pet insurance shows that twice as many claims for chocolate poisoning are made around the Easter and Christmas holiday periods, compared to the rest of the year.

WHY IS CHOCOLATE LETHAL FOR DOGS?

Chocolate contains theobromine. A naturally occurring stimulant found in the cocoa bean, theobromine increases urination and affects the central nervous system as well as heart muscle.

While amounts vary by type of chocolate, it’s the theobromine that is poisonous to dogs.

You can recognise that your dog has eaten a toxic dose of chocolate from the symptoms. Within the first few hours, the evidence includes vomiting, diarrhea or hyperactivity.

As time passes and there’s increased absorption of the toxic substance, you’ll see an increase in the dog’s heart rate, which can cause arrhythmia, restlessness, hyperactivity, muscle twitching, increased urination or excessive panting.

This can lead to hyperthermia, muscle tremors, seizures, coma and even death.

Source: http://www.dogownersdigest.com

Nevermind
Nevermind